Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What's in My Fridge?

I'm not actually going to show you everything in my fridge, but thought I'd focus on the salad dressing shelf.

I used to not like salads...scratch that...every now and then I loved a "good salad"...one covered in globs of creamy ranch, egg, bacon bits, cheese, and croutons...the works...you know that ones that can pack several hundred calories on top of your regular meal. Red Robin's Avo-Cobb-O dinner salad with ranch packs 1150 calories... Of course that's a main course dish, but still, that's a lot of calories for any meal.

When I started counting calories and cutting back on empty/unnecessary cals, I started looking for new salad dressings and was pleased to find there are several kinds I love that don't pack all the calories like regular ranch.

The blue cheese dressing would be the hub's...not mine.

These are some of my favorite dressings right now:

I don't have a strong brand preference, but here's what I have right now and a little nutritional info on them:

Maple Grove Fat Free Raspberry Vinaigrette

2T- 35 cals
160 mg sodium

Great Value Light Italian Dressing

2T- 15 cals
480 mg sodium

Kraft Light Balsamic Vinaigrette

2T- 25 cals
290 mg sodium

Newman's Own Low Fat Sesame Ginger
(I've tried Newman's Own and Litehouse and like them equally but Newman's Own is cheaper)

2T- 35 cals
330 mg sodium

Wishbone Salad Spritzers- Ranch

10 sprays- 15 cals
65 mg sodium

***

Compare the calories in those to ranch which has around 150 calories for 2T and it was easy to give up my ranch. :)

Some of the dressings have way more sodium than others, so that's something I have to watch. I try to go easy on the sodium on my other meals if I have a salad with the higher sodium dressings that day.

I also love this Creamy Cilantro-Avocado dressing for "mexican nights". 2 tablespoons has 32 calories and 160 mg sodium. It's sooo yummy on a bed of lettuce with black beans and fresh pico de gallo and lime juice.

I love the raspberry dressing with chopped apples, craisins and almonds.

The sesame ginger dressing is delish with grilled chicken, mandarin oranges and chopped walnuts or almonds.

And of course, I love the Wishbone ranch spray for having a little taste of ranch without all the calories.

Do you have a favorite salad dressing?

1 comment:

  1. I eat the Kraft light balsamic vinaigrette almost every day! Love it on a salad with a chopped pear, gorgonzola, cashews and dried cranberries. mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete